Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Bacon Balsamic Roasted Radishes

Never had a cooked radish? Now's your chance!


Bacon Balsamic Roasted Radishes. How's that for alliteration?

Most people have never had a cooked radish. I think that's sad, so I decided to share this recipe with you all. The first time I had a cooked radish was several years ago. I was on this freakishly strict unhealthy low fat, super low carb, super low calorie diet. Radishes were allowed, so I thought I'd steam them one day and see what happens. I loved them!

That diet was far from enjoyable, but cooked radishes most definitely are! I have to admit, though, they are ten times better with bacon.

Radishes contain all the same benefits as other cruciferous vegetables-- cleansing, high in vitamins & nutrients, cancer fighting-- they also are good for the skin & for fighting urinary tract infections!  Needless to say, radishes should be part of our diet. Raw, they can be hot in a similar way that horseradish is hot. But, when cooked, that heat is cooked out and you're left with a neutral earthy flavor.

I don't know about you, but I am always looking for new sides and new ways to eat veggies. If you are as well, I promise you'll love this recipe!

Bacon Balsamic Roasted Radishes


Ingredients:


3 cups cubed radishes
2 Tbs bacon grease, duck fat, olive oil, or fat of choice
2 Tbs coarsely chopped rosemary
1 Tbs thyme
1 Tbs finely chopped sage
2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
Dash pepper
3 slices raw bacon chopped
3 liquid Tbs balsamic vinegar

NOTE: If using dried herbs, simply half the recommended measurements.

Directions:


Preheat oven to 375*F. Throw all the ingredients into a ziploc bag. Close the bag and shake until all the radish cubes are coated with fat, vinegar & herbs. Line a cookie sheet with foil (this makes clean up easier). Pour contents of the ziploc bag onto lined cookie sheet and spread out to one single layer. Roast in the oven for approximately 30-35 minutes, stirring half-way through cooking time. When done, remove and let cool a bit. Stir again to coat with the fat & vinegar.

Serve hot, and ENJOY!



1 comment:

  1. Yummy. I suggest minimizing salt. With bacon my seemed a bit salty. Otherwise it was delicious and my non paleo husband even liked them so next I have to make more

    ReplyDelete